The Rotary Club of Madras was inaugurated on 10th May 1929 and Chartered on 19th July 1929, making it the first Rotary Club in South India & erstwhile Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Rotary Club of Madras is the third oldest Club in India, after Calcutta and Bombay.
Rtn. James Wheeler Davidson, from Calgary, Canada, is credited with the formation of Rotary Club of Madras, while Rtn. C.G. Armstrong, Chairman, Madras Port Trust, was the first President. Rtn. Morton Chance, of the Hotel Chain, was the first Secretary. Rtn. Rajah Sir M.A. Muthiah and Rtn. Mohd. Usman were the first Indian Members of the Rotary Club of Madras.
Over the years, leading luminaries from various businesses, professions & vocations have been Members of the Rotary Club of Madras. Guided by the theme, “Service above Self”, the Club is credited with pioneering work in the area of eradicating Red Measles and with the Pulse Polio Immunisation Programme, adopted by Rotary International which is now called Polio Plus.
The Club has distinguished itself in many areas, effectively and efficiently, living up to the motto of service to community, time and again. The Rotary Club of Madras prides itself on initiating projects with an eye to the future. Our aim is to work for a better tomorrow for the underprivileged sections of society. We help to identify young minds that have the potential, and then we help the process of transformation by providing the necessary environment. Our programs aim to empower by imparting technical skills in demand in the market, so that the beneficiaries may create a better future for themselves.
The Rotary Club of Madras runs a broad range of skilling programs over a wide swath of territory in and around Chennai. We also have robust technical training programs. Apart from these training programs, we successfully ran a program for curative surgery and subsequent rehabilitation of polio affected youngsters.
Today, the Club has 243 Members, who are distinguished citizens of Chennai and leaders in their chosen businesses/professions/vocations. Eighteen illustrious Members from the Club have risen to the post of Governor of District 3230.
The Rotary Club of Madras meets at the same venue since 1929 on Tuesdays, at 1.00 pm, at the iconic Connemara Hotel. (Currently at Hyatt Regency, 365 Anna Salai, Teynampet, Chennai 600018 till further notice on account of the renovation at Vivanta by Taj Connemara)